Phonics is a huge portion of the language Common Core Standards for lower grades. In this Phonics game students learn how to blend and segment short vowel CVC words, CVCC and CCVC words, and those ever so tricky Bossy E words. You can also use this game to differentiate instruction by breaking words from three sounds or four sounds depending on the level of your students.
I will be using this center during our farm theme at the end of the school year to help review words.
Print, cut, and laminate all the picture cards, letter cards, and hen game boards.
Pick an image card and place it on the white box inside the hen. Find the appropriate egg letter cards to make the word.
The picture cards are divided into three different phonic skills. They are, CVC short vowel cards (green), CCVC and CVCC short vowel cards (yellow) and bossy/magic “E” cards (dark green)
Differentiated instruction for phonemic blends:
There are two different ways to play the CCVC cards.
Students can either separate the words by three or four sounds. Included in this pack are digraph eggs that match the CCVC cards. For example: Child picks the “ship” picture card. He or she can either use the three egg hen game board or the four egg game board depending on the level of the student. For the three egg card the student would put /sh/i/p/ for the four egg card each sound would be represented /s/h/i/p/.
Common Core Stand Standards:
We are coming to the end of the school year and I made this center to help my students review their sight words! We will use these cards during our Earth Day themed literacy centers.This sight word cards are part of my Earth Day Unit (Found Here!)
Print, cut, and laminate the cards.
1. Use the cards to play memory for a center. Have students flip the cards over and match them through the game memory.
2. Pick cards out of the pack that you are focusing such as the number words or color words. Play memory.
3. Print out the cards and hang them on the word wall
4. Have students sort the cards in ABC order for a center during Earth Day.
5. Print out multiple sets and let the student splay a game of “go fish”.
6. Hide the cards around the room for students to use during a write the room activity.
If there are any words you are focusing on that are not included in this pack, please send me a message with at least 3 new words and I’ll add them to the pack.
Common Core Standard Tags (Kindergarten)
Common Core Standard Tags (First Grade)
Common Core “I Can Statements”
- I can recognize and read sight words.
- I can recognize and read colored words.
- I can recognize and read number words from one-ten.
- I can recognize and match sight words.
- I can recognize and match colored words.
- I can recognize and match numbers from one-ten.